Monday, January 09, 2006

my city!!... my mumbai!!!

The past few days have been immeresed in coincidences where I either read about mumbai, meet someone from mumbai, come across a particularly great blog on mumbai or am acutely reminded of my friends who are in mumbai.... as you can see i got mumbai on my mind!!!

When I left mumbai (and yes, I do call it mumbai and not bombay... just that way cos as a maharashtrian have been used to calling it mumbai since i was a kid)... anyway... when I left mumbai I did realise that it would be the one thing I miss. I was just about to get my own freedom so I knew my family would not be missed as much as everyone expects it to be. However, I found out a few new painful things two months into my stay here.

One, I did miss my family. Not really just one person, but just the feeling of family, the feeling of being surrounded by people who have seen you grow and understand how you are who you are... not necessarily approve, but at least understand.

Two, I missed mumbai. Like hell.

OMG! the pain is visceral! I miss its vibrant days, I miss its colours, its smells. I miss its dirty muck filled puddles. I miss bandra east, it was so peaceful, it was like a piece of heaven grafted onto mumbai's body. The heavy, still afternoons, the green rain tree just outside my window, the crows that would come to visit and sit on the balcony talking to me.

I miss the smell of the sea. The mist in the air when you approached juhu beach from the side gullies. I miss golas, consumed with avarice sitting at the katta of our favorite golawaala. I miss being addressed as baby by my dhobi. I miss my panipuriwala. I miss panipuri!!!! I miss swastik sandwichwala in santa cruz!!! I could do a blog dedicated to u dude!!

I miss catching my local every morning. I miss hating the crowds. I miss flying train!!! I miss the walk from marine lines station to xavier's. I miss the 5 rupee book shop. I miss khau galli! I miss stray puppies!!!!!! sooo much!!!!

I miss the woods. I miss philosophizing sitting on the stone benches. I miss coming to college in the morning and going straight up to the mess for breakfast, taking so much time that we eventually never made it to class. I miss burmese toast!!!!

I miss the booksellers at fountain, but then everyone in mumbai misses you now, (note: we need public outrage against their removal!) I miss crossword and oxford..

I miss jug suraiya and swaminathan on sundays. I miss leos and mondies on weekdays! I miss getting wet walking down marine drive. I miss doing lukkhagiri at gateway. I miss sneaking off and seeing every new movie. I miss sterling, regal, eros, new empire, and all those new multiplex thingies in the suburbs! I miss G7!!!!

I miss elaichi chai in that chaiwala's glass! I hate not being able to say "cutting" to the white boy at the counter here who takes my order for darjeeling tea.

I miss bandstand. I miss kayani's, bastani's. I miss asiatic library. I miss the ranicha baug!! I miss the smell of warm earth moistened by the first rain. I miss raincoats.

I miss rover.

I miss rickshaws! oh god I miss rickshaws!

I miss friends. All of them. Each and every one. It sucks that I am here and not down there shotuing my head off with glee and celebrating with beer, cos my good friend adriel just got engaged!!.. god.. I miss you so much

I have made my decision and here I am for better or worse. I may not go back for good. I will visit, but I dont know whether it will be forever. Wherever I go, I will always sense a distance from my real home. I will come to enjoy another city am sure, understand her and live in peace there, but my heart will remain with my mumbai.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Know how you feel...I live in the city and still miss all these things...sometimes on my way home from work...I just decide to walk somehow I don’t want to come home...I guess it has something to do with finding solitude amidst chaos or something like that…only in bombay..

Kaumudi said...

Nice posts DP, had goose bumps reading about all the things we used to do in the good old days. I always knew you'd miss the city more than most of us. You had withdrawal symptoms even before you left!! About wanting to go back, I've learnt its useless. Even if you do by some miracle return to Mumbai, it will be sans friends. Arent friends what made it all so much fun? And I must say the blog about the New Year disturbs me. I so soon after we parted, your thoughts turned so black! Kinda scares me. We didnt really leave you, you know? The tequilla may be gone, but there's lots more in Texas...

Sagar Joshi said...

good posts! thoughtful blogs..

Nessa said...

DP, I know I wasn't great at keeping in touch, but I still miss everyone :'( You always realise how much you love someone when they've gone far away.. Come back all of you!!!

Nessa said...

Me back to tell ya the new look of your blog is cool (forgot to mention in previous gyaan)... Just a change in the background can make things look SO different, nai? Love ya..

Ghushe said...

If my comments has anything to do with the author's hiatus from this blog, I feel guilty. And break my quasi-anonymity. And promise to be a silent reader. Help reduce my guilt.

Elwing said...

ghushe!!!

comments would have no other effect but to urge me to write more... been a bit busy... coming back soon tho...

take care

Unsettler of Catan said...

sob!
do i need say more...
this place is priceless... the memories even more so...

luv u
stay beautiful!

Raj Lalwani said...

The magic that's Mumbai ...

Just came across your blog via good ol' Google. How have you been??

Off to read the other posts and all, more later ...

- Raj.

(nikamma1112 on MS)

P.S. The blogging bug's bitten moi as well, check out radiculture.blogspot.com/nikamma1112.blogspot.com wheneva ...

Deeseelicious said...

Yeah i knw what u mean !
I Miss the little paan wala shops who r there to give you just a single stick of gold flake lights for 3 bucks till 3 am ! Its nice when ur broke ! Man... here i have to get myself a carton of Malb lights made in Vietnam !!!

Anonymous said...

I was looking for a friend of a friend (Adriel)on google when this popped up and I read through your post - gosh it made me all nostalgic and happy-sad thinking about home.

I'm from Bombay too(I call it Bombay ;-) and a Xaverite and so many of the things you described are familiar - it is actually a physical hurt.

I now live in Singapore, its not so far from home but it still hurts.

Lovely lovely post!thank you.