Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Suidae

For all those non-biology majors and for a large portion of even the biology majors, let me inform you that the title of this post means 'Pig'. Yup I am going to talk about our porky friends. I have been requested to do so by a dear friend, who I know was making fun of me, but challenged me to a write off nonetheless.

I started to think of what I can write of concerning pigs. Well, for one I think that we do them an injustice by associating their name with many negative things. 'Sweat like a pig' is a weird phrase, I've never really seen a pig sweat, and have no idea if the their dermal excretions are abnormally high. Also, the association with filth and dirt. I mean yeah, a pig does get caught with its nose in a garbage can an inordinate number of times, but hey, one man's meat etc. etc.

Most of the times I find pigs slightly snooty. Have you seen a family of pigs running along a street. It looks like Ma pig is out shopping and the procession of youngsters behind her, just give the impression of a cavalcade. What makes them seem snooty I guess is the fact that they don't seem to believe in the need for communication with mankind. While a dog is most happy to display its feelings to us, by barking, snarling or drool grinning (a very unique doggie trait), pigs seem to be content just staring at you. There doesn't even seem to be the slightest curiosity. It seems like a calm patience, but still makes you realise you're not really welcome.

Greed is another of those famous pig characteristics. Pigs really do seem to enjoy their food. I think that just shows hearty well being. Greed? am not so sure.

The pigs in India tend to be dark and hairy. They also seem to adore the outdoors and are frequently seen roaming around streets miles away from any pigpen. The pigs outside in the western world seem slightly more subservient to mankind. Confinement is no problem as long as the grub is good. They also have that pink color that seems to make those little piglets so adorable.

So what do these porkers mean to us then. Not much I think. These seem to be proud animals not really suited for domestication. Not in the way pet owners want them to be. (I have heard pot-bellied pigs do make good pets, but this is in general). Their tie with us is only for the food. Sadly. Because they do seem like animals I would like to know. I am glad toy makers seem to revel in the image of the pig. They do have a fascination for children and child-like adults (namely me). I do not think I would have given so much thought to the pig if it wasn't for my friend's assignment. Makes me think of the other zillions of subjects I haven't thought about.

Thanks be to him, and to you for reading this.

6 comments:

Sukanti said...

Mahaan blog aahe.

Also, pigs in india are not at all good looking, unlike rest of world's pigs.Thus pork is not that famous ,the way chicken is. So I always feel "Dukkar" or "sooar" (hindi) , these words itself has a slight negation and hatered in it. But "pig" word is kinda cute.
Also being an indian, i feel - we take "dirty" and "lazy" as Pig properties. For example mom will call me a "Dukkar" refering to my untidy room and my laziness towards cleaning the mess.
So if dogs are considered "loyal" throuout the world , its very unfair on pigs to not have a single idetifying characterstic throut out the world.
:)

Anonymous said...

30 minute orgasms!

Rinaldo said...

Without pigs, there wouldn't be bacon. Mmm...bacon...

Anonymous said...

Aah... didn't you miss the empress of Blandings :D

FamiliarQuark said...

Hehehe.. This is the most Ive read about pigs since Three Little Piglets in Nursery.

Wouldnt feel all that bad if anyone commented that my room looks like a pigsty in the future :)

Unsettler of Catan said...

Bob eats bacon?!!!!! Bob is on blogspot?!!!!