Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Morality

I know that this is too big a topic to be talking about on a mere blog post. I don't think that I can write all my thoughts in a mere post, but there is a particular side of this topic that I would like to talk about.

People think less of me because I openly talk about that oh-so-forbidden topic of sex. Don't misunderstand me. I do not belittle or ridicule it. I do not use it to tease or harass others. I am just open about it. The fact that it exists and is probably the most basic and sacred need of humanity.

But people think this openness is amoral. Amoral?? I don't get that. Talking about sex and not being shy to confront it does not make a person amoral. I do not believe that acting coy about the topic, giggling about it or acting shocked at a discussion on sex makes a person (esp. a girl, lets say very esp. an Indian girl) morally superior.

I am now going to make a list of what I believe is actual moral behavior.

Not interfering in peoples' personal lives or ridiculing them because of their personal idiosyncrasies is moral.

Not causing harm to an individual out of vindictiveness, amusement or simply apathy, is moral.

Knowing swear words does not make you amoral. Not understanding the extent to which the use of these words can hurt a person, using them without any provocation, deriding people behind their backs with these words is very amoral.

Empathizing with people, working with them, caring about their needs is moral behavior.

Understanding how powerful an emotion affection and attachment is and never using these to your personal advantage is moral behavior.

Knowing how precious trust and love are. Knowing never to misuse them. That's moral behavior.

Society and people have put up boundaries on acceptable behavior for a reason. It is a way to have discipline while still preserving individuality. However, some norms are outdated and some thoughts are to be rethought.

I do not know what I have accomplished by writing this down. I do not care.

4 comments:

Arya Paturkar said...

loved it!!!

Dream Runner said...

Good Post...

Unsettler of Catan said...

haven't we had this conversation before... the one good thing about being here in london is that no one stares at you for doing any of the things mentioned above... EXCEPT, for the indians.. they think they are gonna change me.. good lord, wasn't my mother enough?

Saurabh Baji said...

You probably meant IMmoral ... Amoral is none of that, really - but then it's your blog, and your opinions :)

(stumbled upon your blog thru Prachi B's ...)

Regards,
Saurabh.